Computation, electronics and telecommunications

  • Philips model 2514 radio

    Record number: 3634

    Date: 1928

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Dimensions: 20.5 x 37 x 13.5 cm

    4-valve receiver. It comprises a rectangular box in landscape format, covered in black paper fabric, and with Bakelite supports, likewise black. It is a very heavy device, as it contains a switching and transmitter system within. The top of the box is chamfered, and houses three parts: at the sides are the two tuning wheels, from 0 to 180, and in the centre a selector for the three bands. There is a fragment of power flex on the left-hand side, and at the rear a space for the plug.

  • Replica ENIGMA encryption machine

    Record number: 12875

    Geographical specifications: Germany

    Date: second quarter of the 20th century

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Dimensions: 15 x 28 x 30 cm

    Dimensions: 25.5 x 27 cm

    Encryption machine. Built from steel, in a wooden box, it has 3 encryption rotors, three rows of character indicator lights, and a keyboard, likewise with three rows. The upper plate containing the rotors can be hinged by loosening the two screws at the front. The lid of the box is fitted with a set of 10 bulbs.This is the model D (the most advanced of the commercial rather than the military models).

    The first Enigma encryption machines were manufactured in 1923 by the company Enigma Chiffiermaschinen AG, based on an earlier Dutch patent.

    The Enigma machine was initially used to send messages in the commercial and industrial sphere, but was soon applied to a military context, becoming one of the key encryption machines of the Second World War. The military version of the Enigma, used by the Nazi forces, was capable of setting messages with more than 456,976 combinations in each of the 24 possible positions of its rotors, making it a real headache for the Allied side.

    Enigma machines were used in Spain to encrypt messages for commercial, industrial and military transactions during the Civil War and the post-war period.

  • Wooden telephone

    Record number: 6123

    Date: 1875 - 1925

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Dimensions: 17 x 14 x 7 cm

    Telephone made of two pieces of wood: one speaker and one microphone. They are connected by a copper cable. These were the first telephones to be used, and revolutionised the telecommunications system from the final third of the 19th century onwards, thanks to their invention by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876.

  • Olivetti Celint 3000 switchboard

    Record number: 12829

    Date: last quarter of the 20th century

    Form of acquisition: donation

    Dimensions: 11 x 31.5 x 24 cm

    Weight: 2.02 kg

    Switchboard used at a medical surgery.

  • Ericsson desktop telephone

    Record number: 1846
    Date: 1885
    Geographical specifications: Switzerland
    Form of acquisition: purchase
    Dimensions: 31 x 28 x 14 cm

    Desktop telephone sitting on four feet. There are two silver-plated bells at the base. A central metal box contains the axle of the toothed wheel attached to the handle, from which run the green plaited cords leading to the earpiece microphone, and another emerging to one side, leading to a circular black resin box. On top of the transmission box is a raised part in the form of a bell, ending in a moulded hook and balls, divided into two symmetrical halves, in silver and gilt metal, ending in two hooks used to hold the handset. This is long, with a black, ribbed handle, a silver and black receiver and a silver microphone with a black trumpet.

  • Ericsson telephone

    Record number: 1890

    Date: 1900 to 1910

    Form of acquisition: purchase

    Dimensions: 73.5 x 26 x 25 cm

    Full wall-mounted station. Local telephone exchange. It comprises a wooden board measuring 2.5 cm and with moulded sides, formed into a semicircle at the top. Below it bears the name PUIG. There are two metal bells, painted brown. In the centre is a large wooden box, revealing the faded manufacturer's name, and opening on one side like a door. Inside there are two large Tximist Leclanché batteries and the switch system with a cogwheel, along with other devices. A metal hook emerges from the interior, used to hang the earpiece. It is long, with a black resin handle. The whole unit is quite heavily decorated. There are golden flowers on the wood at the top, and a royal crest against a red background with a lion on the front.

  • Bull General Electric console, model 415

    Record number: 3288

    Date: 1965

    Form of acquisition: donation

    The console comprised two tables with the typewriter and control panel.

    The patents registered in Norway for the tabulators created by Fredrik Rosen Bull in 1919, following numerous transfers of ownership and country, provided the basis for the founding of the French company BULL in 1931. The company was fairly successful in the field of tabulator machines and the first European computers.

    In the 1960s this was a fundamental element of the "Plan Calcul" promoted by President DeGaulle. In 1964 it was taken over by the US firm General Electric, which still maintains the trademark. It was subsequently the object of numerous transfers and partnerships.

    This machine forms a part of a GE-BULL module apparently installed in Barcelona at the company SERESCO in 1965.

  • Radio, J. Frutos

    Record number: 4409

    Date: 1950 - 1960

    Form of acquisition: donation

    Dimensions: 24 x 36 x 23 cm

    Radio comprising a wooden box or housing, with a landscape format and rounded edges. 4 control buttons on the front at the base, in brown Bakelite. The loudspeaker is protected by fabric. There is a circular section in the middle, protected by glass, with a needle in the centre marking the radio stations, globally and by country.