This exhibition space provides an insight into the typical research instruments used at a laboratory in the early 20th century, and the devices created specifically to demonstrate new theories. It includes apparatus connected with the fields of hydrostatics, electricity, mechanics, optics, pressure and acoustics.
The industrialist, economist and scientist Ferran Alsina opened his experimental physics laboratory in 1907 with the aim of encouraging scientific vocations and a respect for science. Following his early death, it was Ramon Llobregat, his trusted assistant, who then maintained and developed the project over the course of more than half a century.
The laboratory was managed by a Board of Trustees, and from 1964 onwards by Barcelona City Council, which assigned all the collections to the Museum of Science and Technology of Catalonia in 1995.