Other

  • Mauser "Industrias de Guerra de Catalunya" rifle

    Record number: 12923
    Date: 1936
    Geographical specifications:Catalonia
    Form of acquisition: donation
    Dimensions: 12 x 105 x 4.5 cm
    Weight: 3.76 kg

    Wooden rifle, possibly made from walnut (dark wood), with different metal elements, such as the sight, the centre, the chamber and the trigger. It is accompanied by a dark brown leather munition belt with a buckle, containing fifteen 7 cm bullets. It is fitted with a small metal tip to close the cover.

    The rifle, of German origin, is named after its designer: Mauser. The Spanish Mauser 1893 model was in fact the weapon that began the Spanish Civil War in 1936, as it was the standard Spanish army issue. It had been adopted in the late 19th century to replace the old cartridges known as "black munitions". This 7 x 57 mm calibre rifle, with a sliding bolt and holding up to 5 cartridges, was a revolution for the Spanish troops, who first used it in their wars in the overseas possessions and Africa. While it could take a single load, simultaneous loading was also possible, with a central chamber fixed in the breach. The new ammunition was also of the latest model, using smokeless powder. The projectile was lead with a nickel steel jacket, weighing 11.6 g, and with a range capability of between 2,000 and 3,000 metres. Another characteristic of the weapon was that it ended in a bayonet, which could be used in hand-to-hand combat. However, this made it awkwardly long for dynamic warfare or narrow spaces, such as trench warfare.

  • Model silk worm

    Record number: 6784
    Date: c.1915
    Form of acquisition: loan
    Dimensions: 21 x 123 x 18 cm

    A model of a silk worm. It is divided down the middle and can be taken apart to reveal the internal anatomy, the muscular system, the trachea, the nervous system and the circulatory system, the intestinal tube, the silk-producing glands and the organs in the mouth used to thread the silk.

    The model, which comes from the Higher School of Architecture of Barcelona, carries a tag bearing the name Francesc Darder (Barcelona, 1851-1918). He taught at the institution in 1915 and 1916. At the same time, this doctor and veterinarian was organising the Darder Museum in Banyoles, based on the collections from his shop, on Via Diagonal in Barcelona, the source of the exhibit in question, as revealed by the aforementioned tag.

    Darder was also the founder of the Zoological Park and Zootechnical Museum of Barcelona, of which he was the director, and the icthyology laboratories in Barcelona and Banyoles.