Energy

  • Willams & Robinson high-speed steam engine

    Record number: 4554

    Date: c.1884

    Geographical specifications: Great Britain

    Form of acquisition: donation

    Dimensions: 260 x 285 x 194 cm

    High-speed steam engine with a vertical structure of 3 circular turrets at the top, encased in wood. The whole unit rests on a large rectangular base of iron. There are control and regulation handles on each side, and also on the base.

    The purpose of this type of machine was to increase performance and diversify applications. It was superseded by combustion engines.

  • Belliss & Morcom Ltd. steam engine

    Record number: 4945

    Geographical specifications: England

    Form of acquisition: donation

    This steam engine powered a textile factory in Sant Celoni (Vallès Oriental), which donated it to the Museum of Science and Technology of Catalonia when the company was restructured.

  • Electric motor

    Record number: 5535

    Form of acquisition: purchase

    1/2 Manchester electric motor. No. 33594. Amp 3, V 300, rev 200.

  • Lever model

    Record number: 5639

    Form of acquisition: purchase

    Lever model comprising a base supporting a fixed column with an axle that regulates the movement of a horizontal bar, which can be adjusted by means of the position of the different holes. Two balls of differing weights hang from chains at the ends of the bar.

  • Model steam locomotive

    Record number: 6568

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Model steam locomotive named Confederation.

  • Waterwheel

    Record number: 3305

    Date: first quarter of the 20th century

    Geographical specifications: Sant Pere de Riudebitlles (Catalonia)

    Form of acquisition: donation

    Dimensions: 290 cm, maximum diameter: 5 m

    Vertical compartment waterwheel with wooden compartments rotating around an axle with 10 spokes. It was operated by the force provided by the drop along the mill run leading from the village of  Sant Quintí de Mediona to Sant Pere de Riudebitlles. The drop matched the height of the wheel.

    The function of the wheel was to operate a set of Dutch beater, metal containers equipped with a rotating drum with knives fixed to its surface. The cellulose pulp was passed between these knives and others fixed to the container to beat it, removing the impurities and refining it before it reached the papermaking machine.

    It comes from the former paper mill Cal Ton del Pere, in Sant Pere de Riudebitlles (Alt Penedès). This old mill was first a flour mill, before switching to paper production in 1785. It remained in operation, producing paper pulp for the Cal Ròmul factory, until its closure in 1967. Its owners donated this waterwheel to the mNACTEC, while the building was sold to Sant Pere de Riudebitlles Local Council, which restored the roof and a part of the facade.

  • Société Alsacienne de Constructions Mécaniques Belfort alternator

    Record number: 3400

    Date: first quarter of the 20th century

    Provenance: France

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Dimensions: 202 x 370 x 222 cm

    Alternator. It comprises two rotors arranged in parallel, one thicker than the other, held above rectangular iron platforms with a hollow centre. The rotors are fixed on the side by large iron screws. At the top there are iron rings allowing the alternator to be lifted up if needed.

    Alternator used to open the sluice gates at the Flix hydroelectric power plant. Built in France, it was used on the Panama Canal, before being put into service at the Flix power plant.

  • Escuder gas engine

    Record number: 3456

    Date: 1887 - 1895

    Form of acquisition: deposit

    Dimensions: 145 x 112 x 80 cm (maximum diameter 133 cm)

    This was one of the first gas engines built in Spain. The engine is essentially based on the steam engine, and uses the so-called Otto cycle. It has a horizontal cylinder. It uses sliding valves to aspirate the mixture of fuel and air, which enters the cylinder, where it is ignited by electric sparks generated by spark plugs, using a coil and battery. A connecting rod attached to the piston is linked to the rim of a large flywheel, which regulates the movement and produces a uniform output of energy, with an axle running through it, fitted with two gear wheels to transmit the force of the machinery powered by the engine. A horizontal axle connects the two parts.

  • Compartment wheel

    Record number: 4780

    Date: 1940

    Form of acquisition: purchase

    Dimensions: 285 x 262 cm  (diameter 250 cm)

    Large circular wooden wheel, its breadth comprising wooden compartments arranged proportionally around the whole circumference. The central axle is metal, with wooden cross-members running from it to each side of the wheel. On one side there is another smaller wheel used to transmit the energy produced.